Team India happens to be one of the powerhouses in the game of cricket. The sport is unimaginable without the presence of the Indian Team and the fans of the squad. From a commercial point of view, as well, India plays a very important role in the game’s future. It was back in 1932 that India played its first Test match. Since then, the men in blue have played multiple games across formats, led by many different cricketers. On that note, here, we take a look at who was the first captain of the Indian Test Team, Indian ODI Team and the Indian T20I Team.
The first captain of the Indian Test Team, Indian ODI Team and the Indian T20I Team
That's that from the 1st ODI. #TeamIndia win their 1000th ODI by 6 wickets 👏👏Advertisement
— BCCI (@BCCI) February 6, 2022
Indian Men’s Team has played more than 500 Tests and has had 36 different players lead them till now. In ODIs, India has had 26 captains while in T20Is, 10 different cricketers have led the team, so far. Here is a look at who did it first in each of the formats:
- First captain of the Indian Men’s Test Team: CK Nayudu [4 Matches]
- First captain of the Indian Men’s ODI Team: Ajit Wadekar [2 Matches]
- First captain of the Indian Men’s T20I Team: Virender Sehwag [1 Match]
Speaking of the women’s side, only 38 Tests were played as on September 2022. On the other hand, the women’s team has played many ODIs and T20Is and is one of the top sides at the moment. Here are the first captains of the women’s teams in all formats:
- First captain of the Indian Women’s Test Team: Shantha Rangaswamy [12 Matches]
- First captain of the Indian Women’s ODI Team: Diana Edulji [18 Matches]
- First captain of the Indian Women’s T20I Team: Mithali Raj [32 Matches]
One of the powerhouses of the game
India plays a very important role in the sport. The main reason is because of the talented cricketers and the passionate fanbase. This has made games involving India a main component of the cricket calendar.
On the other side, the emergence of IPL has given a lease of life to all stakeholders. Other nations have also followed the template and it has worked for them, too.